Campaigning for consumers in aged care has always been a top priority for National Seniors Australia.
Some of the issues National Seniors has fought for include:
- Improving the quality of care for aged care residents
- Helping consumers and their families to access care
- Ensuring care is affordable for all
- Increasing pay rates for aged care staff
- Creating awareness of the need for more flexible community home care to allow people to age in their own homes
- Lobbying for the introduction of fire sprinklers in aged care homes.
We were widely consulted as part of the Living Longer, Living Better aged care reform package which was announced by the Federal Government in April 2012.
National Seniors was firmly against a plan to include the family home in the assets test when assessing someone’s financial capability to enter aged care and after a strong consumer-led campaign, the government listened and excluded this from the reform package.
We have also played a part in the government announcing funding to increase pay rates for the many tireless - and underpaid - aged care nurses.
In 2013, National Seniors continues to be the voice for consumers and represents consumers on a number of aged care advisory boards as part of the implementation of the Living Longer, Living Better reforms.
To register your interest in joining our campaigns, email email@example.com
If you're not a member of National Seniors Australia, join today and become one of more than 200,000 members and ensure our independent, not-for-profit organisation packs a punch when we take the fight to Canberra!