Unpaid carers - they're the unsung heroes who we have yet to applaud, let alone acknowledge throughout this COVID-19 crisis.
This is why National Seniors has released a report into unpaid carers, titled Who cares? Seniors do.
The key findings of the report were:
- Of 4,139 participants aged 50+ in the survey, 22% were providing care to partners, parents and adult children
- They did this, unpaid, out of love
- They spent an average of 26 hours a week caring and some were full-time, 7-days a week
- Over half of these unpaid carers provided high to medium levels of care
- Most did not have care plans nor had they accessed government support
- They had more health problems than others who were not providing care, and
- More practical, psychological and informational support is needed to maintain this essential workforce.
You can also read National Seniors' media release here.
You can also read the whole report here.
National Seniors Australia would like to recognise and thank those who have been providing unpaid care to loved ones throughout the pandemic by offering annual National Seniors memberships, valued at $45 each.
A National Seniors membership grants you:
Exclusive member-only benefits
Our benefits program provides members with a range of products and services designed to help them save and enjoy later life, including discounts on everyday essentials, access to exclusive buying services, support with financial decision making, tailored insurances and more.
Information that educates, informs and inspires
Enjoy access to our exclusive weekly Enewsletter Connect, the National Seniors member-only website portal and our quarterly print and digital magazine, Our Generation.
Have your voice heard by government and in the media around topics like retirement, the age pension, the cost of living issues and elder abuse.
World class research into key issues
We look at topics like positive ageing, planning for retirement, aged care transition, diversity, cultural influence and more.
Our network of over 100 community-based branches Australia-wide and online groups give members the opportunity to connect with like-minded Australians.
Learn more about becoming a National Seniors member here.
To be in the running for an annual membership, please fill out your details and tell us your experience with being an unpaid carer below.