How to claim a government payment

Check out these top tips.

For more tips like this, make sure you've subscribed to the free weekly Connect eNewsletter.

If you’ve never claimed a payment from Services Australia before, you need to:

  • establish your identity

  • get a Customer Reference Number (CRN)

  • set up a Centrelink online account.

You can do all this online through myGov.

How it works

myGov will verify your identity and share these details with Services Australia, which will give you a CRN and link Centrelink to your myGov account. Once linked, you can make your claim.

If you don’t have a myGov account, you can create one by following these steps.

To establish your identity in myGov, sign in to your myGov account.

1. Select Continue from the Government support for Coronavirus banner.

2. Select I need a CRN.

You’ll need to enter details from 2 identity documents and your Medicare card.

The 2 identity documents must include 1 of the following:

  • Australian passport

  • Australian birth certificate

  • Australian citizenship certificate

  • Australian resident or tourist visa.

Also, you’ll need 1 of these documents:

  • Australian driver licence

  • ImmiCard, issued by the Department of Home Affairs

  • Australian Citizenship by Descent Certificate.

Once myGov establishes your identity, they’ll share your details with Services Australia, which will use the details to check you don’t already have a CRN record matching your details.

If they don’t find a CRN, they can create one for you. 

If they do find one, you’ll need to answer some questions to confirm the record is yours.

Services Australia may need to confirm your identity in person, later. If so, they will contact you about what they need.

Once you have your CRN

myGov will link Centrelink to your myGov account. Then you are ready to make your claim online.

You can call the department, if you either:

  • don’t have the details myGov need to verify your identity

  • have a problem claiming a payment online.

If you’re an existing customer

If you already have a CRN, you need to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

Your CRN stays the same. It doesn’t change and won’t be deleted. 

If you can’t find or don’t know your CRN, you can go through myGov to get your CRN. 

You need to verify your identity with myGov and answer some questions to link the right Centrelink record. This will link Centrelink to your myGov account and you can now make your claim online.

Find out more about COVID-19 impacts here.

Read more about confirming your identity here.

Take the hassle out of applying for your Age Pension

Access all your entitlements the easy way, thanks to Retirement Essentials and National Seniors Australia.

Learn more

Passing on vital information during times of need

If you have a friend or family member you believe would benefit from reading this article, please share it with them.

Now, more than ever, is the time to look out for each other.

They can also stay up to date by subscribing to our free weekly Connect eNewsletter.

Learn more