Most states and territories now require individuals to prove they’ve been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before they can access many domestic venues and services.
So, what exactly does this mean and how can you prove you’re vaccinated?
There are two documents that show your vaccination status.
- Immunisation history statement: An
immunisation history statement shows all the immunisations you’ve had that are on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR), including COVID-19 vaccinations.
- COVID-19 digital certificate: A COVID-19 digital certificate only shows your COVID-19 vaccinations. Once you’ve had all required doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine, you will be able to download a digital certificate from myGov. You can use your COVID-19 digital certificate to show proof of your COVID-19 vaccinations when in Australia.
Note: If you’ve had a booster or third dose, only your last two COVID-19 vaccinations will show on your digital certificate. Your first dose will no longer appear on your digital certificate, but you’ll still be considered fully vaccinated.
Services Australia (a part of the federal government) has developed a special online tool to find out the easiest way to get proof of your COVID-19 vaccinations, based on your situation.
If you have a myGov account linked to Medicare, you can easily access your immmunisation history statement or digital certificate. You can either print the certificate or statement, or download this to your mobile device for easy reference.
If you don’t have a myGov account set up, this video can help you.
- Login to myGov online.
- Click on Medicare online under services. (If Medicare online is not linked to mygov follow these instructions).
- Go to 'Proof of vaccinations'.
- Click on 'View history'.
- Select the document you want to view and then choose one of the following options:
- 'View COVID-19 digital certificate (PDF)' – this allows you to download your certificate, which you can then save, email or print.
- 'Share with check in app' – this allows you to share your digital certificate with any of the different state-based check in apps.
- If you are travelling interstate, you should download the check-in app of the state you’re visiting, and share the digital certificate with that app.
- 'View immunisation history statement' – this allows you to download your statement which you can then save, email or print.
You can also add your COVID-19 digital certificate to your digital wallet (such as Apple Wallet or Google Pay) for easy storage (this is not a required step). If you’re not sure how, follow these instructions.
- If you’re still unsure what to do, call the Australian Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809 and ask them to send your statement to you.
- You could alternatively ask your GP to print a copy of your immunisation history statement.